Midterm Lab 12
Last Modified: 2011-06-30
Lab 12 Something that inhibits bacterial growth or kills bacteria
Lab 12 – Chemical agents used on inanimate objects (to inhibit or kill bacteria)
Chemical agents used on living tissue (to inhibit or kill bacteria)
– must be capable of killing 99.999% of a specific bacterial test population in 30 secs
Lab 12 – Does not kill bacteria, temporarily inhibits bacterial growth
Lab 12 Kills the bacteria
– Chemotherapeutic agent that can be used topically (on skin) or absorbed internally (taken as a pill) to inhibit bacterial growth (bacteriostatic) or kill the bacteria (bacteriocidal)
– the minimum amount of a specific type of antibiotic that is needed to inhibit the growth of bacteria
tests to see if a certain bacteria can grow in a tube mixed with disinfectant (tested at different times)
Tests:Disinfectant tube test Positive
– no bacteria growth seen in tube (disinfectant can stop the growth of that type of bacteria - given the time of interaction)
Tests:Disinfectant tube test Negative
bacteria growth seen in tube (disinfectant cannot stop the growth of that type of bacteria – given the time of interaction)
testing for the MIC (minimum inhibitory concentration) of different antibiotics
Tests: Modified Ring test Positive –
– clear ring around the area the antibiotic was placed
The bigger the ring around the antibiotic the smaller the MIC for that antibiotic
The smaller the ring around the antibiotic the bigger the MIC for that antibiotic
Tests: Modified Ring test Negative
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"