1. Know Korihor's intellectual positions given to Alma (Alma 30:12-18) Review Chart pkt p. 5
2. Also know Alma's evidences that there is a God. (Alma 30:43-44, pkt p.7)
1) Korihor's intellectual positions * bible literature/revelation >> prophecy is a foolish tradition * science/Christ >> can't know what you don't see * Pyschology/Atonement >> remission of sins is craziness * bio/resurrection >> prosper according to strength, death is the end 2) Alma 30 versus... * 39 Almas testimony * 44 testimony of other members * 44 testimony of present prophets * 44 testimony of past prophets * 44 earth, planets, animals
1. Who were the Zoramites? 2. From whom had they dissented? (Alma 31:2) 3. Whom did they trample to death? (Alma 30:58-60) 4. Had they been taught the gospel previously? (Alma 34:2, Alma 31:8)
1. dissenters, led by Zoram, now Lamanites
4. Yes, used to be members
1. Alma Chapter 32 has a broader meaning that just being a sermon on faith. It is counsel about something else additionally. What is the meaning of Alma 32 in its proper context? (Alma 32, pkt A. p. 5 Heading)
1. Thomas L. Tyler- how to rekindle faith in the Lord JC when it has been lost through yielding to materialistic influences and letting worship become mundane and perfunctory
1. How is the Atonement infinite? 2. What periods of time does it cover? 3. What deaths does it cover? 4. What about other worlds? 5. Was there sin in the pre-mortal existence? (pkt p. 21-22) 6. How is the night of darkness different for different people?(Alma 34:33, pkt p. 24, 3 main points) 7. What about the people of Noahs day? (pkt p. 24-25) 8. How does Christs atonement unconditionally affect each death brought about by Adam? (pkt p. 22, pt. #3)
1. Atonement is infinite in the following ways: 2. covers the past, present, future 3. spiritual & physical death 4. it covers all worlds 5. yes sin in pre mortal 6. taught, understand and reject >> mortal death reject, then live it in spirit world >> telestial never had chance on earth >> end of spirit world (end of millennium) 7. taught, understand and reject >> mortal death, no celestial 8. for everyone... answer he is looking for?
5. See also Alma 5:46 concerning Alma the Youngers born again experience. What did Jesus (John 3:5), Pres. Benson, Joseph Smith, and Elder McConkie say about the born again experience? (Handout: pkt A p. 11-12)
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be a born of b water and of the c Spirit, he cannot d enter into the kingdom of God
real & powerful, more of an exception than a rule
born again by degrees...
What did Alma tell Helaman about the brass plates? Alma 37:3-10, pkt. P. 34.
What did Alma tell Helaman about the 24 gold plates? Alma 37:27-29, 32.
should be kept and handed down from generation to generation
will go forth to every nation, kindred etc.
people shall know of the mysteries contained theron
they have enlarged the memory of this people
they have convinced many of the error of their ways
they have brought many to the knowledge of their god unto the salvation of their souls
Ammon and his brethren brought thousands of lamanites to repentance using these scriptures
they will be the means of bringing future thousands to the knowledge of their redeemer