Phrases and Clauses
Last Modified: 2012-05-11
Related Textbooks:Vocabulary Workshop: Level F
- Arthur Radley, a character often misunderstood by the people of Maycomb county, saves Scout and Jem from Bob Ewell.
A group of words that modifies an independent clause as a whole.
An absolute is made up of a noun and its modifiers. It may precede, follow, or interrupt the main clause:
- Their slender bodies sleek and black against the orange sky, the storks circled high above us.
- a subordinate clause that modifies a noun or a pronoun
- answers the adjective question Which one? or What kind? It usually modifies the word directly proceeding
- most adjective clauses begin with a relative pronoun ( whose, who,which,that)
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"