- University of Minnesota - Twin Cities
- Geography 1403
- Robert Wallace
- Planet Earth
Last Modified: 2011-07-01
Related Textbooks:ALTERNATIVE BIOGEOGRAPHIES OF THE GLOBAL GARDEN W/ CD ROM
○ Did a lot of little experiments
○ A mildly modest man
○ In the Galapagos, he didn’t label the finches by island
§ He found different variations of finches and they had different beaks across the different islands
○ When he came back, he didn’t know right away what his research proved, but he found out w/in a few months although he received criticism from the Church
○ Every 2 miles, get samples
○ Found astonishing results
○ Halifax, Carribbean, mexico, panama canal, galapagos, etc.
○ Believed that creators were only created once, couldn’t change/evolve
○ He explained different animals using the great flood
○ Also said that the animals would've had to travel too far for Linneaus to be right
○ Said it started in the North Pole, then some species made their way to the old world or new world then evolved there
2. They were concerned about the origin of these animals
3. Concerned about the causes for the type of animals and where they were distributed
○ Found that sea levels changed over the course of history
○ And the climate of the Earth has changed over time
○ He still thought that the organisms themselves didn’t change
○ Procedure of analysis by which one tests a falsifiable hypothesis about a natural phenomenon with an experiment or modeling exercise whose results are recorded and statistically analyzed.
○ Falsifiable hypothesis
○ Observations that are measured & recorded
○ An attempt to control extraneous factors
○ Replication (multiple measurements)
○ Representative sampling (generalization)
○ Share findings/peer review
○ Conclusions are provisional
○ -->theory (results support the hypothesis)
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"