National and state gov. may not move against citizens in any way except in the framework of the law.
-14th and 5th
- Necessary if we are to discuss the validity of competing ideas
- Protected; wearing stupid T-shirts with logos on them, burning the american
- Cross burning
It isn't protected if your use Libel or Slander falsely or maliciously.
It doesn't protect public school children (the school holds your rights)
- Schools can use race (as long as it isn't white) as a qualification for admissions
- Employeers may use race as a part of a hiring decision
- Clinton reduced A.A. programs, but hired more minorities than any other
- Bush opposed AA programs, and would only hire hispanics
- Obama openly hires minority groups, but liberals say he has gone to far
- Black and white student apply to medical school, black student gets
excepted and he had lower scores than the white student.
Designed to protect women and children from exploitation by factory owners (14hr days, low pay, and unsafe conditions)
- Ex.) Catholic neighborhoods only selling to catholics, not Jews or
This has been since WWII the most vigorous supporters of civil rights and liberties.
Department of Justice
- Part of the Executive Branch (how active it is depends on who is president)
- Ex.) selling or renting an apartment by work of mouth
- Reagan opposed busing
- Clinton was very active at 1st, but pulled back as he lost support from the
center b/c he was so active w/ civil rights enforcement
- Bush did little either way with it
Legislation passed that protecting women was really a form of discrimination
- Not allowed to work if pregnant and not allowed to enter business
- Not allowed to serve on juries or sign contracts
- Not allowed to drink in public, and in some states drinking age for women was
Who is working to support civil rights?
By asking for:
- Class action suites
- Court Orders
This protects individuals from gov. discrimination until a decision can be made by the courts.
- Established the Miranda Rights
- Officers must read the accused their rights b4 he books themm but he can
arrest the accused first
Has never been popular w/ white majority. Says that college admissions should be based on aptitude alone.
- Equality of Opportunity
- Equality before the Law
What were the Supreme Court decisions?
Plessy vs. Ferguson (1896)
Brown vs. Board of Education (1954)
Plessy vs. Ferguson
- RR travel made it possible for trains to pull blacks in seperate cars; equality was based on idea that blacks arrive at same destination, place, and time as whites. ( but the cars were not equal in comfort)
Brown vs. Board of Education
- case was a/b seperated schools in Topeka Kansas. Kansas was less racist than other parts of the country.
Said you are a citizen if born on American soil... what problem did this make?
Civil Rights, Who is Covered?
- Any racial or ethnic group
- All women
- Skin Heads
- Old and young ppl
* Illegal Immigrants aren't covered b/c they don't belong to a ethnic or racial group!!!
- Balance between freedom and equality
- Proper role of government
- The ammount of gov. need regarding safety, security, the economy, and our
relationships w/ other countries
Born into: race, gender, sexual orientation, family, religion as a child, social
class, geographic location
Choice: Religion as adult, friends, education level, where you live, occupation
Main Political Ideologies in America (Liberal vs. Conservatives)
-Liberals (mostly but not all Democrats) favor more economic regulation and less social regulation
- Conservatives (mostly but not all Republicans) favor more social regulation
and less economic regulation
- political and social reform
- gov intervention in economy
- social services that help the poor, minorities, and women
- environmental legislation
- stronger gun laws
- rights of criminally accused
- aid to poorer nations
- the United Nations
- state involvement w/ religion
- Nuclear weapons and energy
- Military intervention in other countries
- Aid to Isreal
- Social Status quo
- Personal responsibility and liberty
- A small federal gov w/ limited power
- School prayer
- rights of victims (not rights of the accused)
- Traditional families
- Aid to Isreal
- Military Intervention in other countries
- Expansion of gov
- Regulation of the Economy
- Abortion and Gay marriage
- Gun control
- Affirmitive Action
- Aid to poorer nations
- The United Nations
- Important example of "Media Bias"
- The positions of the parties and the politicians
- Why a politician takes a certain position, and who benefits
- How canadites shape up in terms of personal character, knowledge,
- This differs according to the media outlet (CNN vs. FOX)
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"Alice , Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"Tim , University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly!??I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"Jennifer , Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"Justin , LSU