Pre-operative Care Exam 4
- Medical College of Georgia
- Nursing 7000
- Pre-operative Care Exam 4
Last Modified: 2011-07-07
Related Textbooks:Medical-Surgical Nursing (Single Volume): Assessment and Management of Clinical Problems (MEDICAL SURGICAL NURSING (LEWIS))
- Determine the patient’s psychologic and physiologic factors that may contribute to operative risk factors
- Establish baseline data
- Identify and document the surgical site
- Identify prescription and over-the-counter (OTC) drugs and herbal products
- Confirm laboratory results
- Note cultural and ethnic factors that may affect the surgical experience
- Validate that the consent form has been signed and witnessed
- Three types of information: sensory, process, and procedural.
- Different patients, with varying cultures, backgrounds, and experiences, may want different types of information.
- All teaching should be documented in the patient’s medical record.
- All patients should receive instruction about deep breathing, coughing, and moving postoperatively.
- Is an active, shared decision-making process between the provider and the recipient of care.
- A true medical emergency may override the need to obtain consent.
- Final preoperative teaching
- Assessment and communication of pertinent...
- Ensuring that all preoperative preparation...
- Ensuring that records and reports are...
- Verifying the presence of a signed...
- Laboratory data
- A history and physical examination report
- A record of any consultations
- Baseline vital signs
- Nurses’ notes complete to that point.
- Benzodiazepines and barbiturates for sedation and amnesia
- Anticholinergics to reduce secretions
- Opioids to decrease intraoperative anesthetic requirements and pain
- Additional drugs include antiemetics, antibiotics, eye drops, and regular prescription drugs
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"