What was Bartok known for?
1. Stylistic Diversity
1. Post-impressionist painter
2. Escaped modern civilization by living in Tahiti
3. Controversial work
4. Was criticized for sexual connotations
1. Migrants who came to US because of political or social reasons
2. Many new works premiered in the US b/c of them.
3. Many were very influential in the US
- Rachmaninoff: came b/c Russian revolution; pianist, conductor, composer
- Bartok: came in 1939 b/c of Nazis; Mikrorosmos- cllctn of works for young people
- Milhaud: 1940(Jewish); composer, teacher
- Hindemith: 1940; composer, teacher, violinist
Weil: 1933(Nazis); composer; Broadway
Eisler: 1938; Hollywood; wrote plays, protest songs, and movies
"The semester I found StudyBlue, I went from a 2.8 to a 3.8, and graduated with honors!"Jennifer Colorado School of Mines