Last Modified: 2011-07-06
Related Textbooks:America's New Democracy (5th Edition)
Related Textbooks:Cengage Advantage Books: Liberty, Equality, Power: A History of the American People, Volume I: To 1877, Compact (Thomson Advantage Books)
- Types of Policies (3)
- Stages of a Policy Making Round (6)
- Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
- (1) domestic policy
- (2) economic policy
- (3) foreign and defense policy
- Agenda setting – deciding which issues government must address
- policy deliberation – the debate over how government should...
- policy enactment – the passage of a law by public officials at...
- policy implementation – the translation of a law into...
- policy outputs – the rules and regulations growing out of a program
- policy outcomes – the effect of a policy on American society,...
- electoral incentives always influence how policies pass through...
- programs for families with children
- more restricted than programs for senior citizens
- less likely to provide flexible cash benefits and more likely to provide...
- benefits vary by state
- only EITC benefits are uniform
- senior citizens may receive their Medicare and social security benefits...
- poverty among elderly was so acute during the Great Depression that Congress enacted the Social Security Act of 1935
- spending on the elderly has grown to dominate the nations’ domestic budget
- social security operates at a loss
- fives more to elderly in benefits than they have every contributed in payroll taxes
- social insurance programs
- public assistance programs
- most welfare state spending goes to working middle class through social insurance programs
- Old Age and Survivors and Disability Insurance, under Social Security and Medicare
- programs are universal - covering almost all in labor force and families
- benefit leves keep up with cost of living
- low score on spending
- can be compared by the degree to which they detach a person’s well being from dependence on the labor market
- under tremendous pressure as a result of globalization and capital mobility
- gain vitality from their economic role
- directed to poor people
- TANF (ex)
- are selective, means-tested
- available only to those whose income/wealth is below the level set by law
- not indexed
- not national standard of support
- unemployment insurance
- workers’’ compensation
- disability insurance
- President Franklin D. Roosevelt
- poverty, low wages, unemployment
- conservatives opposed the New Deal, sympathized...
- social reform – administration’s strategy to...
- relief programs - when the threat of civil...
- federally funded jobs diminished when the threat...
- Social Security Act
- the New Deal had a liberal and conservative side
- welfare state
- some abstained from politics
- some took action
- demand of union recognition
- unemployed marched to demand food and shelter
- farmers dumped their produce to demand higher prices
- continued the American tradition of localism
- benefits were set low
- institutionalized the invidious distinction between deserving and undeserving welfare recipients
- reinforced racial and gender inequalities
- progressive force – offers an egalitarian alternative to the market
- always are both conservative, reinforcing capitalize, and progressive, priding workers with an alternative to dependence on employers and the market
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"