Last Modified: 2011-07-02
Related Textbooks:Study Guide for Essentials of Sociology: A Down-to-Earth Approach
- sharing meanings of symbols, the basic element of all cultures
- learning meanings of symbols through interaction
- taken for granted
- varies over time and place
- prohibition against incest
- belief systems or religion
- questioning common assumptions
- looking beyond "what is obvious" to everyone
- focus on the general rather than particular
- focus on the societal context where events happen, rather than the event itself
- From agricultural/rural economy to capitalist urban economy
- from household/family economy to an industrial economy
- Monopolization of both tools and labor by those with the most resources in society
- efficiency and profit became the driving force in the economy
- replacement of machines for most human labor
- Changes in the nature of work
- demographic changes
- changes in human relations
- changes in societal values
- Creating an impression for our audience
- Learning new lines to add to their scripts
- Performing scripts for social audiences
- Using props as visible symbols to create/reinforce our roles
- Performing according to society's script for the situation
- Creating a positive, advantageous impression
- Part of a larger system
- part of a particular socio-economic group, race, etc.
- a male or female
- all these influence who we are
- interdependence among countries is growing
- global culture
- local cultures are a reflection of global culture
- Declaration of Faith: "There is no God but Allah and Muhammad is his Prophet"
- Praying five times a day facing Mecca
- Paying alms
- Fasting during the month of Ramadan
- Making a pilgrimage to Mecca
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"