1. impose economic costs on the population of the target state
2. population exerts pressure on govt to alter policy/behavior
causes of terrorism
-asymmetric power relationship between terrorists and govt
-govt is not capable of preventing all terrorist attacks
-asymmetric info between govt and terrorists
how does democracy promote terrorism?
1. freedom facilitates illegal activities with ease 2. constitutional constrainsts prevent the govt from combating terrorists effectively 3. freedom of speech gives larger publicity to terrorists
how does democracy reduce terrorism?
1. political participation facilitates venting grievances peacefully 2. fair and frequent elections reduce overall grievance
argument: economic sanctions work
1. sanctions are usually multiple purposive 2. politicians have an incentive to sanction for symbolic purposes 3. the threat of sanctions is not counted as sanctions
argument: sanctions do not work
1. the punished govt reallocates scarce resources to the selectorate/winning coalition 2. nationalism is flared up to repress 3. the punished govt can develop a bargaining chip for negotiation with the senders
Want to see the other 15 Flashcards in quiz 6?JOIN TODAY FOR FREE!