Last Modified: 2011-07-09
- says that the body and mind are separate but that they can be influenced by each other
- came up with concept of reflexes
- physician and psychiatrist
- philosopher with background in physiology
- 1st psychologist and lab: University of Leipzig in 1879
- grad student of Wundt
- gave name to structuralism
- thought that thoughts and sensations acted like H and O in chemistry: lead to "structure" of mind
- American; came up with functionalism
- need to determine the goal of the mental operation first and then discover how the individual parts work to achieve goal
- physiologist; came up with behaviorism
- studied salivation in dogs
- challenged behaviorism --> B.F. Skinner
- cognitive revolution
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"