1. How do many traditional psychologists use general terms such as intelligence, attitude, and personality? Illustrate with an example.
to give a general description of the causes of certain behaviours. (PAGE 2)
Example: “Jonny has excellent grades because of his good attitude”
2. What is a behavioral perspective of such traditional psychological terms as intelligence, attitude, and personality? Illustrate a behavioral interpretation of one of the terms with reference to an example.
From a behavioral perspective, these terms are views as summary labels for behavior,not an explanation for the behaviour (PAGE 2)
Example: kid who is always late and talks when the coach is talking, can be labeled with bad attitude, but it doesnt explain the cause of the behaviours.
3. A behavioral deficit is too little behavior of a particular type and is a main cause to why athletes seek help from a sport psychologist. 2 examples of behavioral deficits that are not listed in the text include:
A squash player who frequently practices their forehand shot while avoiding practicing their backhand shot.
A football quarterback who doesn’t practice throwing drills to receivers during a practice.
4. A behavioral excess is too much behavior of a particular type and is also a main cause to why athletes seek help from a sport psychologist. 2 examples of behavioral excess that are not listed in the text include:
A hockey player who continually checks an opponent into the boards after the whistle is blown.
A basketball player who pushes an opponent every time they score a basket.
5. What is behavioral sport psychology?
is a vein of psychology, which involves the use of behavior analysis principles and techniques to enhance the performance and satisfaction of athletes and others associated with sports. (Page 4)
6. According to many psychologists, what does the word cognition mean?
As used by psychologists, the word cognition means “belief”, “thought”, “expectancy”, and “attitude”