- University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Astronomy 100
- Star Birth
Last Modified: 2011-05-27
Related Textbooks:Pathways to Astronomy with Starry Nights Pro DVD, version 5.0
- big bang produced H, He, Li
- involves primordial and nucleosynthesis
- molecular cloud
- cool clouds grav collapse to form clusters of stars
- star form He, C, Fe via stellar nucleosynthesis
- hot massive stars in cluster supernova
- heavier elements formed
- new molecular clouds left behind
- H and He initially created in Big Bang
- stars process H and He into heavier elements during lives
- elements heavier than iron
- amount reddening in dust cloud depends on amount dust b/w object
- cloud of gas and dust
- stellar nursery
- Cloud of gas grav collapse
- Particles fall in/speed up banging into each other, converting GPE into kinetic energy into thermal energy
- Collapsing gas emits blackbody radiation and very bright
- Core of protostar reaches 10 mill K and nuclear fusion igites
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"