Test 1 study guide
Last Modified: 2016-03-08
- electrons are shared
- number of electron pairs determine strength of bond (e.g. single, double, and triple covalent bonds)
- one atom gives up an electron and the other takes it
- one is + charge and one is - charge, attraction occurs
- dissociate in water
- uses multiple stains
- distinguish between different types of bacteria
- ex: gram stain, acid-fast stain
Methods of handling microbial cultures, and patient specimens in a way that prevents infection of the handler and others who may be exposed.
Ex: Sanitization,Disinfectants, Antiseptics-growth-inhibiting agent used on tissues to prevent infection.
made of amino acids
-shape of protein determines function
-amino acids (aka peptides) are connected by peptide bonds which are formed by dehydration reactions
-the carboxyl group of an amino acid joins to the amino group of the other via a peptide bond
Gram positive: absorb crystal violet and turn blue
Gram negative: absorb safranin and appear red
flow of substances across membrane that does not consume ATP
- Animals: no cell wall
- Plants: cellulose
- Fungi: chitin
- tubular transport network within the cell
- appears as a stack of flattened membranous stacks
- smooth and rough ER
- responsible for moving proteins from one part of the cell to another and for moving proteins to the outside of a cell
Bacterial flagella become visible
- domain > kingdoms > phylum > class > order > family > genus > species
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"