1. Bend/Squat to check under the back of the car 2. Same for front of the car 3. Check left and right 4. Enter street 5. Walk to door 6. Before opening door - check left and right again 7. Open the door
How to start up the engine 7
1. Move the chair up two notches 2. Lock the car 3. Seatbelt 4. Check mirrors, adjust rearview 5. Check that the emergency break is on/ car is in park 5. Put foot on brake 6. Recheck all mirrors and then over left shoulder (safety check) 7. Start engine
How to start up the car 7
After starting the engine 1. Change to drive (looking at the dash) 2. Take off the emergency break (foot still applied to break) 3. Check all mirrors and over left shoulder 4. Turn signal 5. 1...2...3... 6. Final safety check, over left shoulder 7. Go
Making a Left Turn 10
1. Keep left (within 1 meter of curb) 2. Slow down 3. Left Turn Signal - 30 meters before turn 4. Keep left (angle wheels to the left) 5. Look to the right 6. Rearview mirror 7. Left 8. Over left shoulder 9. Right 10. Go - Keep to the left
Order for a left turn safety check
Right Rearview Left Over left shoulder (for bikes) Right
Making a lane change 6
1. Safety check 2. Blinker 3. 1...2...3... 4. Safety check again 5. Change lanes 6. Turn off blinker
Safety check for moving to the right 6
Right mirror Over right shoulder Rearview mirror Left mirror Rearview Right
Making a right turn NOT followed by another right turn 6
1. Turn Left blinker on right after completion of turn 2. Safety check 3. Move slowly towards the left of the lane 4. Safety check 5. Change lanes 6. Keep left
Making a Right Turn after a Right Turn 3
1. Turn into the Right lane 2. Turn signal back on (30m rule) 3. Follow proper procedure for a right turn
Passing a stopped or parked car 10
1. Safety check 2. Blinker (30m rule) 3. Count 3 seconds 4. Safety check 5. Move over 6. Keep a distance of 9 feet (width of the car) 7. IMMEDIATELY, left signal back 8. 1...2...3... 9. Safety check, OVER LEFT SHOULDER 10. Change back to your lane
Blind Intersection 6
1. Stop 2. Check mirrors 3. Move forward slowly to an invisible line 4. Check left and right (twice!) 5. For left turn, angle to the left; for right turn stay straight 6. GO VERY SLOWLY
Blind Curve 4
1. Slow down before the curve 2. Pump them breaks! 3. Provide space in the left area for a bicycle 4. Then, resume lane and keep to the left
1. Drive VERY slowly 2. Far left 3. Far right...etc 4. Do NOT go into the ditch 5. If you go into the ditch, stop IMMEDIATELY, reverse after safety check 6. When exiting be careful not to touch the curb 7. It is better to reverse than hit a pole 8. Safety check when reversing and reverse over your left shoulder
1. Look to the left and over your shoulder to make sure that any driver on the ramp is yielding 2. As you approach the top of the ramp, slow to a stop. 3. As soon as you can see over the top. Honk once. 4. Proceed slowly
How to use the diamond...
Pass on the inside and don`t touch it. It`s lava, bitch.
When passing through an intersection with crosswalks, you should...
Look to the left and right And slow down! The proctor could send something out to trick you. But don`t stop
When using a T intersection...
Two of your tires should pass over two points of the T. BARELY TOUCHING
How to turn off the car 7
1. Park 2. Don`t let up on the break 3. Emergency break 4. Put it in park 5. Turn off the engine 6. You can move your foot now 7. Take off seatbelt
How to vacate the car 3
8. Check mirrors 9. Look to the right and left before opening the car door 10. Get out and pray that you passed
How should you dress?
Nicely Wearing business clothes might help!
Should you be polite?
Yep, and bow a lot!
Oh no! You drove down the wrong road. Did you fail?
Not yet! If you realize that you drove down the wrong road, pull over safely and stop. ASK the inspector what you should do.
What handy thing is there on the course?
White lines spaced about ten meters apart. This helps you envision 30 meters.
Will they tell you when to accelerate?
More than likely!
What should you be during the test?
PARANOID Do everything obviously and verbalize!
What should you say?
Check or yoshi each time you do a safety check! Onegaishimasu and hai will help, too!
What do you do at the yellow flashing light?
Slow down. Pumpin` those breaks. Look both ways BEFORE crossing.
Slow down Pumping the breaks at least twice
In curves DO NOT...
accelerate or break You should be coasting at about 25kph
When you are parking...
Probably on the left! The car should be as close as possible to the curb (20 cm)
The Full Spin is...
Over left shoulder Left mirror Rearview mirror Right mirror Over right shoulder Use for pulling out (to the right!)
LEFT Do not drive in the obvious, safe place: the center of the lane.
How should you break?
By pumping it!
Early and often Even if there are other turns ahead of your target, put your signal on! When you are coming out of the Crank and S-Curve remember to signal!
If turning left...
Start the spin from the right to over the left shoulder
If turning right...
Start the spin from the left and look over your right shoulder
Stay as close as you can to the right side Keep resignaling
The Crank 3
1. You may reverse up to three times! 2. You can run up against the curb as long as you don`t drive over it. 3. Try not to have your back tire clip the curb!
1. Take it very, very slow (Enter from a stop!) 2. Stay as far as right as possible and turn left at the last moment 3. Move left and try to stay left as far as possible before turning the wheel right 4. If you have to reverse, just go straight back to where you came.
Every intersection and after red lights you should...
Look both ways! At red lights BEFORE proceeding.
Other cars on the course...
Should be give a wide berth!
Railroad tracks 3
Stop completely. Look booth ways. Roll down the window and LISTEN for that invisible train!
Go slow. Lean forward and act extremely cautious, looking around every obstructed view, etc.
Slow down (by pumping the breaks) so that you could stop if someone were to suddenly cross
Before you break...
Look in your rearview mirror
Make clear turns
Take left turns...
as tight as possible
Take right turns...
Rather wide. Drive `straight` a ways before turning, follow like there is a diamond in the intersection! Make it as near a right angle as possible Possibly preferable to turn into the far left lane when turning right
Once you have reached the speed limit or what the proctor indicated, slow down immediately.
Hit the breaks at least once Use it like a yield sign Rolling stop!
Stopping on hills 7
1. Come to a stop. 2. Engage your emergency brake. 3. 1...2...3... 4. Disengage emergency brake. 5. Press the gas 6. Proceed slowly 7. The key is not to roll backwards!
What speed is it wise to stay under?
What should do before entering a curve?
Pump them breaks!
1. Pull forward until your front bumper is exactly in line with the striped pole. 2. Emergency break. 3. Park 4. Turn off the car, leaving key in ignition 5. Wait for further instructions 6. Say `doumo arigatou gozaimasu!`
Want to see the other 56 Flashcards in The Steps?JOIN TODAY FOR FREE!