1. The layer of the heart that contains muscle is ___________.
2. When the aorta arches and begins descending down along the spine, then goes through the diaphragm, it is known as _____________.
2. abdominal aorta
1. Name the blood vessel that supplies the myocardium
2. The heart is composed primarily of _______.
1. coronary artery
1. Veins draining the arms and head merge into a larger vein which then transports the blood to the right atrium of the heart; this larger vein is the ____________.
2. The endocardium is made up of which type of tissue?
1. Superior Vena Cava
1. Veins have something that arteries do not. What is it?
2. During diastole, the ventricles are __________, the semilunar valves are __________, blood is prevented from flowing back into the ________and the heart rests.
2. relaxed, closed, ventricles
1. The ability of the arteries to withstand a sudden large increase in pressure is accomplished by the _______________.
2. The blood vessel that carries blood away from the heart to the lungs is called_________.
1. elasticity of the smooth muscles
2. pulmonary artery
1. The circulation which carries blood from the heart to the lungs and back to the heart is the ____________.
2. The artery found at the crook of the elobow is the _____________.
1. The left common carotid artery branches from the _____________.
2. The only heart valve with two cusps is the ___________.
3. The atrial appendage similar to a dog's ear is the ______________.
1. aortic arch
1. Which vessels have walls one cell thick?
2. The SA node sends an electrical impulse to the atria causng them to__________.
3. The pulmonary artery carries de-oxygenated blood from the____________.
3. right ventricle to the lungs
1. Arteries have walls made of three coats or tunics surrounding a hollow core known as a ___________.
2. Intestinal blood flows to the liver by way of _____________.
3. The right atrium receives blood from all parts of the body except of__________.
2. the hepatic portal system
1. The SA node, which initiates each cardiac cycle and sets pace for the heart rate, is also known as the ______________
2. Blood from the lungs returns where?
3. Another name for a stationary blood clot is_____________
2. left atrium
"The semester I found StudyBlue, I went from a 2.8 to a 3.8, and graduated with honors!"Jennifer Colorado School of Mines