Last Modified: 2014-07-23
-Humans need structure and rules in order to learn to love.
Literally, ―prince or knight
Variously translated as the exemplary person, or accomplished person, or gentleman or lady
In Confucianism the ideal person who has become a fully virtuous human being.
- First emperor of the Ming Dynasty.
- Engaged Admiral Zheng He to mount several naval expeditions.
- Finished the Great Wall
Started the Sengoku Period with Oda Nobunaga.
Fighting was concentrated in around Kyoto.
Tapers off with the Battle of Sekigahara
Battle of Yarmuk (636) - Rome id defeated
Persians defeated (637)
Eqypt Falls (642)
Spain Attacked (710)
-Battle of Tours (732)
Constantanope attacked and Muslim fleet defeated (717)
Central Asia battel with Chinease (758)
The movement that divided all of Europe into Protestant and Catholic camps.
- Thought gospel saying God is righteous is bad news
- Because I'm not righteous, I'm going to hell
- Truth - God's righteousness makes us righteous if we have faith (justification by faith alone)
Pope Leo the tenth banned Luther's material, mandated the burning of the material, and asked Luther to recant in 60 days.
Luther burned catholic writings on the pulpit in response.
1520 Luther is excommunicated. Condemned to die as a heretic.
Fredrick the rise (wealthy patron), kidnapped him and brought him to wartberg castle and into hiding.
- started when Henry VIII wanted to get an annulment for his marriage w/ Catherine of Aragon but and Anne Boleyn but Church wouldn't allow it. Through political maneuvering in Parliament, he made himself head of church in England, annulling the marriage himself and receive all lands and money from monastic communities in England.
- Created the Church of England and led to later conflict with Catholic Spain
most famous for temper; Tudor (catholic); wants a son to carry on the family name; goes through alot of wives; Catherine of Aragon (spain); Anne Boleyn;
daughter of Catherine of Aragon
*next in line
*didn’t talk about religion until she was safely in the queen position.
*people fled country
*for five years catholic reign.
*married her cousin, Phillip. No children.
*wanted an allies, married cousin from Spain
*gets her name bloody Mary because she orderd many beheadings to protestants.
*she was named a bastard child, and when she took the thrown she was very bitter.
In 1572 was a targeted group of assassinations followered by a wave of Roman Catholic mob violence, both directed against the Huguenots during the French Wars of Religion. Instigated by Catherine de' Medici.
- Sail West to get to East
- Underestimates the size of Atlantic
- Overestimates the size of the land masses.
- Four voyages
already settled when Columbus arrived in the area.
Spanish took a toll over the Taino.
Disease spread quick and the number of Tiano decreased.
he and 47 med men capt and released
snow delayed Span supplies
goal- kill all whites n. of Santa fe
knotted yucca cords to decide time of attack
Aug 10, 1680- seige, Puebloans pretend to side w/ Span
Aug 21- Span marches S
- In 1609, Henry Hudson sailed up the Hudson river and claimed New York State for the Dutch.
- Also had permanent trading posts on the Hudson, Delaware and Connecticut rivers that became the colony of New Netherland with New Amsterdam as the capitol
- rest of France felt left out from benefits of laws
- Napolean needed centralized government to support his army (to collect taxes and raise army)
- Louis XIV could afford to raise and maintain a large and powerful army and was in position to dominate europe.
-Louis XIV led france into four major wars of expansion, each with a widening scope.
-Louis invaded flanders twice.
- Zemsky Sobor choose Michael Romanov as the new tsar after Ivan
- Made tsar top of society and divinely ordained
- Autocratic rule remained. Serfdom was abolished. The government also reformed the education and legal systems. The government encouraged railroad construction, industrial production, and mining
- War between Russia and Sweden due to Russia's attempt to defeat Sweden and lasted 21 years.
- Russia wins and expands their territory.
Words From Our Students
"StudyBlue is great for studying. I love the study guides, flashcards, and quizzes. So extremely helpful for all of my classes!"
Alice, Arizona State University
"I'm a student using StudyBlue, and I can 100% say that it helps me so much. Study materials for almost every subject in school are available in StudyBlue. It is so helpful for my education!"
Tim, University of Florida
"StudyBlue provides way more features than other studying apps, and thus allows me to learn very quickly! I actually feel much more comfortable taking my exams after I study with this app. It's amazing!"
Jennifer, Rutgers University
"I love flashcards but carrying around physical flashcards is cumbersome and simply outdated. StudyBlue is exactly what I was looking for!"